Requirements: Learner's License Application
The following is applicable to a code 2 (old code 8) Learner's License for light motor vehicles.
- Applicant must be a minimum of 17 years of age. Most testing stations, however, will allow an applicant to apply for a test date up to 3 months prior to their 17th birthday, provided that the testing station has suitable test dates available. The test date itself needs to be after the applicant's 17th birthday.
- Applicant must be in possession of a valid South African green bar-coded ID Book or South African Passport.
- Foreigners should first obtain a traffic registration number (TRN) before being able to apply for a South African Learner's License.
- Applicant must be able to provide proof of residence.
- Applicant must pass an eye test conducted by the testing station or obtained from an optometrist.
- Applicant must meet the health requirements as stipulated on the application form.
- Applicants over the age of 65 must provide a medical clearance certificate.
- Applicant must pay the prescribed application fee applicable for that province.